Queensland Ballet Academy
07 3013 6665
Queensland Ballet Academy
Lucy Hogan & William Cheung
PHOTOGRAPHER: DAVID KELLY
Pre-Professional Program: Full-time finishing year offering outstanding young dancers the real-world preparation needed to join a professional company (post-school).
Academy Program Levels 6 - 1: Elite ballet training delivered alongside secondary academic
studies at Kelvin Grove State College (Years 7 - 12).
Guest Academy Program Levels 6 - 4: Caters for elite students living outside the Brisbane Metropolitan Area and provides professional training with our world-class faculty during a five-day visit each term, of the Queensland state school calender (Years 7-9).
Foundation Program Levels 9 - 7: Designed as an introduction to elite ballet training for children, delivered after school each weekday during term time (ages 8 - 11).
Queensland Ballet Academy is the official training school of Queensland Ballet, with a long established history of developing the next generation of professional dancers in an elite, world class setting. Our Academy is a springboard from which students work to develop lifelong creativity, curiosity and technical ballet proficiency. Our faculty is made up of renowned ballet artists, as well as inhouse performance health and student wellbeing experts. This ensures our students are nurtured throughout their journey - creatively, physically and mentally.
The Academy's commitment to the safe and progressive development of our dancers' minds and bodies is central to all that we do.
All aspects of classical ballet and related disciplines* including:
- Body conditioning
- Classical character and historical dance
- Contemporary dance
- Male fitness
- Male technique
- Pas de deux
Additional subjects* include:
- Ballet history
- Career preparation
- Choreography and improvisation
- Drama and mime
- Musicality studies
- Performance psychology
- Safe dance practice
*Subjects vary based on level of training.
Practical dance classes per week:
- Pre-Professional Program: Full-time training.
- Academy Program: Full-time dance and academic program.
- Guest Academy Program: Classical ballet, Contemporary dance, Body conditioning, Technique and Repertoire, Historical dance (Level 4 Only).
- Foundation Program: Foundational ballet training as well as complimentary activities, including ballet history, body conditioning, stretch, improvisation, repertoire.
Contact hours per day:
Pre-Professional Program: 37+ hours per week
Academy Program: 14+ hours per week (Level 6), 15.5+ hours per week (Level 5), 17+ hours per week (Level 4), 21.5+ hours per week (Level 3), 23+ hours per week (Levels 2 & 1).
Guest Academy Program: 4x five-day visits per year, during school terms.
Foundation Program: This program is delivered as an after school offering from Monday - Friday. Children are encouraged to attend at least two classes per week.
Pre-requisites/ entry requirements:
Entry into all Queensland Ballet Academy programs is by audition or invitation.
Teaching staff across the various programs include:
- Academy Director: Christian T?tchev
- Head of Pre-Professional Program: Wim Broeckx and Zenia T?tcheva
- Head of Academy Program (Upper Levels) and Resident Choreographer: Paul Boyd
- Head of Academy Program (Lower Levels): Veronika Sheremetieva
- Contemporary Program Coordinator and Resident Choreographer: Louise Deleur
- Foundation Program Coordinator: Kym Stokes
- Guest Academy Program Coordinator: Guy Wheatstone
- Senior Academy Teacher: Elena Kozhemyachenko
- Teachers: Tabitha Buttsworth, Gary Dionysius, Lisa Edwards, Clare Morehen, Claire Phipps-Males, Amelia Waller
- Associate Teachers: Louise Drysdale, Tony Lewis, Melissa Tattam
Pre-Professional Program*: Auditions will be held in Melbourne on 5 September 2021 and in Brisbane on 11 September 2021. Registrations close 13 August 2021.
Academy Program (Levels 3 -1)*: Auditions will be held in Brisbane on 28 August 2021, Sydney on 29 August 2021, and in Melbourne on 5 September 2021. Registrations close 21 August 2021.
Academy Program (Levels 6 - 4)*: Auditions will be held in Brisbane on 4 September 2021. Registrations close 21 August 2021.
Guest Academy Program (Levels 6 - 4)*: Auditions will be held in Brisbane on 13 November 2021. Registrations will open soon.
Foundation Program (Levels 9 - 7)*: A Selection Experience takes place in lieu of an audition. The next Selection Experience is scheduled to be held in November 2021 for the Semester 1, 2022 intake.
*Audition details are subject to change.
Please refer to www.queenslandballet.com.au/auditions for more information.
Please see www.queenslandballet.com.au/academy/fees-and-financial-support for more information.
Scholarships or subsidies:
Thanks to the generous support of our donors and partners, Queensland Ballet is enabled to distribute financial assistance bursaries via an application process each year. Scholarships and awards may also be offered at the discretion of the Academy Director, at any point during the continuum of audition, enrolment, and progressions from year to year.
Possible career options:
Queensland Ballet Academy students receive industry and educational qualifications to support continued training, studies, and employment. Year 12 / Level 1 graduates receive:
- Queensland Ballet Pre-Professional Certificate in Dance
- Queensland Certificate of Education
- Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) and / or Vocational Education and Training Accredited certificates (e.g. Diploma in Business)
Pre-Professional Program graduates receive a Queensland Ballet Academy Professional Certificate in Dance and are prepared to be industry-ready for employment with professional dance companies in Australia and overseas.